Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Low Resolution

Alright, so I love the guys over at Geo A Day and I decided that since I'm learning some Mayas as well I could attempt to mimic their work. 


My first scene is a little piece of scenery of nowhere in particular, I just wanted to practice on some trees, and mountains, and clouds, and everything else, basically. The Lighting was almost a disaster, but was saved at the last minute by the wonderful suggestions of my friend Quinne (who's blog I would link here, if she had one that I was aware of)

For the second time around, I decided to revisit an old favorite of mine and my friends. You see, I've been wanting to do 3D for a very long time. Back in high school, I asked my mother for a gift in the form of a program known as Bryce. Bryce generates landscapes for you, and you tweak certain parameters. For instance, you can generate a mountain, and then you can kind of tell Bryce what shape you want it to be, and Bryce does all the detail work. The same is true for the sky, the atmosphere, etc. You tell Bryce what elements you want in your scene, and it does pretty much all of the work. With the help of that program, I was able to make this image:



Pretty, yes? All thanks to the program, I assure you. BUT, it was a good way to understand the very most basics of 3D, because it did at least allow you to place the objects in space, and adjust their size and such, even if you weren't allowed to control much else at all.

Anyway, the Bryce work got me a ton of compliments from all of my friends and family because "Hey! That's gorgeous!" and if you don't know how little control over things Bryce actually allows, you might be impressed... But that wasn't enough for me. I want to actually be entirely responsible for the work that I do, and in that vein, I decided to revisit my old work. Now that I've learned some of the Mayas, I'm able to create scenes entirely of my own choosing, with my own lights and geometry. As such, I have created this:



Not quite on the level of Bryce, but much more my style.


No comments:

Post a Comment