Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Dorks & Dragons

So a few weeks ago, and friend challenged me to model Bahamut from Final Fantasy X. I took him up on his challenge with the caveat that I didn't actually want to just model someone else's character. Instead I just took Bahamut as a source of inspiration and ran with a normal dragon still within that sort of anatomy. 

This is the result:

1200 polys

2048x2048 texture 
(pretty sure I can shrink that if I wanted to use this anywhere)

no lights

Saturday, October 26, 2013

ZBrush Villainy

So I'm taking a ZBrush class to learn some digital sculpting.

For our first project, the teacher had us take a stock model offered by ZBrush and just play around with it. I took a stock human model and kind of accentuated some muscle structures and made his face look like a Star Trek villain or something. 

Basically, I didn't do a whole lot of work here other than trying to make the edges nice and crisp, because I've heard that hard surfaces are difficult to do.

For my next trick, I'm modelling a giant, sentient tree! 

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

The Next Ninja Kid

CG Animation assignment from my teacher. He told us to do a ninja jumping from one platform to the next. I decided to do something based on The Next Karate Kid. 

My teacher doesn't like the pose I started with, he urged me to do something more action-y, but I decided to leave it as it is despite his preference. Hopefully you guys are on my side, as I think it works just fine.

Ignore the headband for now, I might go in and animate it later if I decide I want this shot in my portfolio.

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Revisiting Animation Society

This updates is brought to you by the Revisiting Animation Society. Did your animation suck? Did your squash not have any stretch? Well one trip to the Revisiting Animation Society will boost your breakdowns like never before!

Call now!

Previous blog post animation, revisited with tips from my fantastic 3D Animation II teacher!

The next comes in two parts that I didn't previously post. I did the following in a few hours between classes as practice:
The only issue is that the animation is sloppy and awkward. Which is ok, given that this is uncleaned animation. Unfortunately, I went through to clean this up and I apparently screwed something at a very fundamental level and was unable to resolve the problem easily.

So instead of bash my head against the wall trying to fix it, I restarted it, beginning with the run cycle:

Throughout the rest of this week, I intend to rework the rest of the animation as well, bringing it up to a level that I'm happy with.