Tuesday, January 8, 2013

That Dam Level

So this one was interesting. How do you design a composition for an underwater scene? Better yet, how do you LIGHT an underwater scene?! Both in terms of planning and then in terms of execution in Maya. I HAD NO IDEA WHAT THE ANSWERS WERE TO THESE QUESTIONS!

So I faked it. I went online looking for underwater lighting tutorials, and I found one that had me throw a ton of random switches to get the exact result the guy intended, but he never explained what I was doing, so I can go flip all those switches again, but it only gets me exactly what I had before, and if I change things the whole scene breaks. Basically? Useless tutorial. So I had to come up with my own way of doing underwater lighting, and hopefully it works....


Anyway, this is from one of the most infamous of all levels in the entire history of gaming. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1 for the NES, the underwater Dam level where you defuse all those @#$*ING BOMBS.

No comments:

Post a Comment